Tuesday, 7 May 2013

Dark Elves vs. Warriors of Chaos (2400 Points)


Warriors of Chaos vs. Dark Elves
================================

Overview
--------
Scenario: Battleline
Location: Manawatu Duellists
Date played: Friday, 3 May 2013

Warriors of Chaos
-----------------
General: Caleb
  (DP) Daemon Prince [1 point]
      - MoN, Flying, 1+/5++, Charmed Shield

  (B) BSB [1 point]
      - MoT, Daemonic Mount, GW, 1+/3++, Third Eye of Tz

  (S1) Sorcerer [1 point]
      - Dispel Scroll, L2

  (C1) Chariot [1 point]
      - MoK

  (C2) Chariot [1 point]
      - MoK

  (C3) Chariot [1 point]
      - MoK

  (WoC) 17 Warriors of Chaos [1 point]
      - MoN, HW+Shield, FCG

  (CK1) 6 Chaos Knights [1 point]
      - FCG

  (CK2) 6 Chaos Knights [1 point]
      - FCG

  (S2) 3 Skullcrushers [1 point]
      - Champion

  (S3) 3 Skullcrushers [1 point]
      - Champion


  Total: 11 points
  ----------------

Dark Elves
----------
General: Jeff
  (D) Dreadlord [1 point]
      - Dark Pegasus, Heavy Armour, Sea Cloak, Soul Render, Pendant of Khaleth, Dragonhelm, Shield

  (SS) Supreme Sorceress [1 point]
      - Sacrificial Dagger

  (M1) Master [1 point]
      - Dark Pegasus, Sea Cloak, Lance, Armour of Destiny, Shield

  (M2) Master [1 point]
      - Dark Pegasus, Sea Cloak,Heavy Armour, Charmed Shield, Dragonbane Gem, Lance, Black Dragon Egg

  (CoB) Cauldron of Blood [1 point]
      - BSB

  (S) 19 Spearmen [1 point]
      - Muso

  (C) 24 Corsairs [1 point]
      - FCG, Sea Serpent Standard, XHW

  (DR1) 5 Dark Riders [1 point]
      - Muso

  (DR2) 5 Dark Riders [1 point]
      - Muso

  (WE) 26 Witch Elves [1 point]
      - FCG, Banner of Swiftness

  (H1) Hydra [1 point]

  (H2) Hydra [1 point]


  Total: 12 points
  ----------------

Deployment
----------


Caleb won the roll for table side and chose the northern side. The table itself was set-up by a third party and promised to make for a very interesting game due to the presence of 3 Buildings in the Centre and us both having flying/fast characters. I was happy with my side as it allowed a good bunker for my Sorceress and put my Witch Elves within a single move of a building. I would then try to hold these buildings and pick up points with Metal Magic and my characters.

For Magic I took Lore of Metal and rolled Searing Doom, Plague of Rust, Transmutation of Lead and Final Transmutation. Caleb was also using Metal and had Searing Doom and Final Transmutation.

I elected not to Vanguard due to Caleb's speed and then won the roll for first turn.

Turn 1 - Dark Elves
-------------------


1. Movement

I move most of my army aggressively forward and put the Witch Elves in the building, with the ability to put Killing Blow on them I shold be able to hold the building against anything but Skullcrushers. The rest of the army just moves up to make trouble and have room to flee.

2. Magic

I manage to get a big Searing Doom off on C3 and kill it.

3. Shooting

I put Killing Blow on the Witch Elves.

4. Combat

None

Turn 1 - Warriors of Chaos
--------------------------


1.  Movement

Caleb passes all of his Frenzy tests and advances up the table rather than risking failed charges. He is also cautious in order to deny me good angles to fly my characters over to hit him.

2. Magic

Caleb attempts to cast Searing Doom against a Hydra but fails to cast.

3. Shooting

Nil

4. Combat

Nil


Turn 2 - Dark Elves
-------------------


1. Movement

I don't declare any charges and move my army back to buy some more time while my Pegasus Heroes drop in behind enemy lines.

2. Magic

I 5-dice a big Searing Doom but fail to cast even after using my dagger to sacrifice a poor Spearmen.

3. Shooting

I use the Black Dragon Egg to hit the Warriors of Chaos but despite hitting nearly the entire unit only manage to killl 1 due to some good saves from Caleb

4. Combat

Nil

Turn 2 - Warriors of Chaos
--------------------------


1. Movement

C2 charges DR1 needing 17" and I hold, expecting S2 to charge as well allowing me to flee. This never comes though and the Chariot makes it to combat. The enemy BSB charges my Master who flees and is charged again by S2 forcing a second flee. S3 tries for a long charge and fails while C1 fails to make it to H1. The warriors jump in the building.

2. Magic

The Sorcerer IFs a Final Transmutation on the Sorceress Bunker and kills 8, but not the Sorceress. The miscast result is a power drain but he only loses 1 level.

3. Shooting

Nil

4. Combat

The Chariot destroys the Dark Riders and overruns into the building but passes it's DT test.

Turn 3 - Dark Elves
-------------------


1. Movement

I declare no charges, while both my units rally. The Dreadlord makes a play for the Daemon Prince and the rear of the Chaos units.

2. Magic

I cast Searing Doom on S2 but again poor casting leaves me able to get dispelled. I then cast Final Transmuation on the Warriors in the building but Caleb uses his Dispel Scroll.

3. Shooting

I put a 5+ ward save on the Hydras instead of Killing blow on the Witch Elves. H2 uses it's flaming breath attack on the Warriors but fluffs the rolls and only kills 2.

4. Combat

None


Turn 3 - Warriors of Chaos
--------------------------


1. Movement

A few charges go off with the Chaos Knights seeing their opportunity to push the Witch Elves out after my mistake of not putting Killing Blow on. S2 charges the Hydra, forcing a flee and fails to redirect into the building. S1 fails it's charge on the corsairs and C1 gets double fled.

2. Magic

The Sorcerer casts an Irresistible Searing Doom on the Corsairs, killing 4 and rolls double 1's on the miscast table! He survives though and only kills 1 other Warrior.

3. Shooting

Nil

4. Combat

The Chaos Knights hack down 9 Witch Elves for the loss of none of thier number but I stick around, kicking myself for being dumb.

Turn 4 - Dark Elves
-------------------


1. Movement

The Dreadlord charges S3 while M2 charges the Chariot. The rest of my army rallies.

2. Magic

I cast FT on the Warriors killing 4 and then 6-Dice Searing Doom on the Daemon Prince who has come out looking to finish the game off. I roll well and take the Prince off!

3. Shooting

I've learned my lesson and put killing blow on the Witch Elves.

4. Combat

The Peg Master does 2 wounds on the chariot , winning combat by 4 and runs the chariot down. The Dreadlord does a wound and wins the combat by 4 but the Skullcrushers stay put.

Turn 4 - Warriors of Chaos
--------------------------


1. Movement

S2 charges the Master and C1 charges the Dark-Riders who are actually on a slightly different angle redirecting the Chariot away from my lines. It's really hard to explain the mess that CK2 is in regards to movement. The unit genuinely got itself pinned in by other units all game and the bounce back of 1" by CK1 really screwed it over. The BSB didn't want to risk the charge yet as S3 would need the re-roll. The Knights go into WE again hoping to repeat their success.

2. Magic

The Sorcerer casts Searing Doom on M2 which I dispel.

3. Shooting

Nil

4. Combat

The Master takes a wound and does one back but loses combat and sticks around. The Dreadlord finishes the Skullcrusher Champion, takes a wound and wins by 3. The Skullcrushers still hold though.

Turn 5 - Dark Elves
-------------------


1. Movement

The Corsairs charge the flank of S2 but the Hydra fails to get in. H1 tries to hit the flank of the Chariot and fails. My last Dark rider rallies right in front of C1.

2. Magic

I cast Plague of Rust and Transmutation of Lead on S2 to lower the saves and get me enough wounds to win the next combat.

3. Shooting

Nil

4. Combat

The Corsairs and the Masters manage to win the combat and run the Skullcrushers down. The Dreadlord and Master fluff most of thier attacks and only win by 1 with the Master taking 2 wounds. The Skullcrushers pass their break test.

Turn 5 - Warriors of Chaos
--------------------------


1. Movement

The BSB charges the Hydra instead of the COB as he doesn't feel sure of his ability to kill it in the turns left and is worried about the Dreadlord finally beating the Skullcrushers. The Chariot decides to pick up the points for the Dark Riders and CK2 finally moves into a useful position.

2. Magic

I dispel his attempt to cast Searing Doom on H2.

3. Shooting

Nil

4. Combat

The BSB does 3 wounds on the Hydra and takes one in return. The chariot kills the Dark Riders but doesn't leave the board. The Skullcrushers kill the Master but the Dreadlord does 4 wounds and runs them down but goes too far to get a charge on the BSB next turn.

Turn 6 - Dark Elves
-------------------


1. Movement

This turn is all about consolidation. My combat blocks move away from the BSB, while my Dreadlord moves to block any possible last turn charge by the BSB on my Cauldron.

2. Magic

I cast Final Transmutation on the Warriors and leave only 2 and the Sorcerer alive. I then go for the Searing Doom but fail to cast even after using my dagger, leaving hundreds of points untaken.

3. Shooting

Nil

4. Combat

I do another wound to the BSB but am then cut down.

At this stage Caleb decides that he doesn't want to chance the BSB on the Dreadlord so his turn consists of a Searing Doom at my master which he fails to cast.

We tally the points up and I end up up by 470 points, so a minor win. It was a very close and enjoyable game and the complex terrain made it very unusual. I paid the price for not using my Cauldron very well while Caleb ended up a unit down through his deployment and the traffic jam which took 5 turns to sort out in his back line. I enjoyed the Dark Elves and can't wait to get more painted up for the table.

Thanks for reading. Jeff


Built with Battle Chronicler.
http://www.battlechronicler.com/

4 comments:

  1. Nice report. One thing s that you have to use the cauldron buff at the start of the turn after stupidity checks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured I had that wrong. Cheers

      Delete
  2. good report Jeff, your opponent didn't have the dragon bane gem on the DP? Seems like a massive concession.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeff,

    Sigmar here from www.WFBattles.com I wondered if you'd be interested in sharing some of your battles on my battle recording and leagues website ? It's completely free (no catches !) I built it to improve my programming skills and thought I might as well work on something that would be fun. Anyway, it saves your battle details, ranks you, lets you link back to your blog/forum/website and allows members to rate your reports (we have campaign and you can also set up your own leagues for tournaments or friendlies). Please check it out and feel free to join. Everybody is welcome - the more the merrier until the database grinds to a halt :-)

    Sigmar

    ReplyDelete