Friday, 3 May 2013

OnG vs New Warriors of Chaos (2400 points)


Well it's been over 3 months since I've put up a Battle Report for my Orcs and Goblins since they've been punished for their performance (or my bad generalship). I decided to get them out again for a battle against the new Warriors of Chaos. In theory this was supposed to be a good match-up for me but I was keen to see for myself as those tough characters could be the end of me if they make it to my lines.


Warriors of Chaos vs. Orcs and Goblins
======================================

Overview
--------
Scenario: Battleline
Location: The Man Cave
Date played: Thursday, 2 May 2013

Warriors of Chaos
-----------------
General: Caleb
  (DP) Daemon Prince [1 point]
      - Flying, Mark of Nurgle, 1+/5++, L4, Lore of Nurgle, Soul Feeder, Breath Weapon

  (B) BSB [1 point]
      - Daemonic Mount, Great Weapon, Flaming Attacks, 1+/3++, Eye of Tzeentch, MoTz,

  (S1) Sorcerer [1 point]
      - L2, Chaos Steed, Dispel Scroll, Lore of Fire

  (CH1) 5 Chaos Hounds [1 point]
      -

  (CH2) 5 Chaos Hounds [1 point]
      -

  (CH3) 5 Chaos Hounds [1 point]
      -

  (MH1) 5 Marauder Horseman [1 point]
      -

  (MH2) 5 Marauder Horseman [1 point]
      -

  (C1) Chariot [1 point]
      - MoK

  (C2) Chariot [1 point]
      - MoK

  (C3) Chariot [1 point]
      - MoK

  (CK) 6 Chaos Knights [1 point]
      - FCG, Lances

  (S2) 3 SkullCrushers [1 point]

  (S3) 3 SkullCrushers [1 point]


  Total: 14 points
  ----------------

Orcs and Goblins
----------------
General: Jeff
  (SOGS) Savage Orc Great Shaman [1 point]
      - Level 4, Earthing Rod

  (BOBB) Black Orc Big Boss [1 point]
      - Shield, Standard of Discipline

  (NGS) Night Goblin Shaman [1 point]
      - Level 1, Dispel Scroll

  (NG1) 60 Night Goblins [1 point]
      - HW/Shield, Muso+Standard, Nets, 2 Fanatics

  (NG2) 57 Night Goblins [1 point]
      - HW/Shield, Muso+Standard, Nets, 2 Fanatics

  (NG3) 20 Night Goblins [1 point]
      - Bows, 2 Fanatics

  (GC1) Goblin Chariot [1 point]

  (GC2) Goblin Chariot [1 point]

  (GC3) Goblin Chariot [1 point]

  (T) 6 Trolls [1 point]

  (SH1) 35 Squig Herd [1 point]
      - 24 Squigs/11 Herders

  (SH2) 35 Squig Herd [1 point]
      - 24 Squigs/11 Herders

  (RL1) Rock Lobba [1 point]

  (RL2) Rock Lobba [1 point]

  (DD1) Doom Diver [1 point]

  (DD2) Doom Diver [1 point]

  (MS1) Mangler Squig [1 point]

  (MS2) Mangler Squig [1 point]


  Total: 18 points
  ----------------

Deployment
----------


Caleb won the roll to choose board edge and cleverly took the northern side. This was a good move as if I had the other side of the table I would have castled in the top left hand corner, and used the building to either preserve points by using it as an Alamo with my characters and 60 Goblins, or used the Building as a means of splitting up attackers and restricting movement. I was happy with the way deployment worked out. Caleb was rightfully nervous about my fanatic/mangler screen so put his chaff out in front to trip it, the downside to this though is that it almost guarantees that his combat units won't be in combat with my main units until T3 at the earliest and I still have the opportunity to fight off his chaff with my chariots.

There were two main things I needed to achieve early in the game in order to get a big win. The first was to down the Daemon Prince before he got into combat, ideally using Doom Divers and Rock Lobbas. The second was to sacrifice my Chariots in such a way that they forced his chaff away and were positioned to redirect his frenzied combat units. If this was achieved my Fanatics and numbers should see me grind to the win. The supporting effort throughout the game would be engaging his BSB in such a way that he couldn't get to my Characters.

For magic I rolled up; Foot of Gork, Hand of Gork, Fist of Gork, Gaze of Mork and Sneaky Stabbing for my Goblin. Caleb rolled up FlameCage amd Burning Bolt for his L2 and Plaguewind, Curse of the Leper, Fleshy Abomination and Miasma for his Daemon Prince

I won the roll to go first.

Turn 1 - Orcs and Goblins
-------------------------


1. Movement

None of my units suffer from animosity (They're on their best behaviour after being shelfed for 2.5 months) and my only movement is the Chariots re-positioning to charge chaff on the next turn.

2. Magic

I attempt to cast Foot of Gork on S2 but my attempt is dispelled by Caleb.

3. Shooting

All of the Warmachines slam into the Daemon Prince with both Rock Lobbas hitting and his DP's Charmed shield failing to work. I wound with both but he makes both ward saves! The Doom Divers then have a go but more good ward saves mean that only 2 wounds are inflicted.

4. Combat

Nil

Turn 1 - Warriors of Chaos
--------------------------


1. Movement

Caleb's army advances forward and the DP makes a dash to guarantee a charge next turn should he survive. His main combat units though are still blocked in by chaff.

2. Magic

Caleb attempts to raise the toughness of the DP by D3 and succesfully casts. I can't afford to let this through as I need the Doom-Divers to be able to wound so use my scroll, if everything goes to plan I'll only be facing down a Level 2 in the magic phase the rest of the game anyways. He then attempts to cast Fleshy Abomination for the regen but I dispel this with my dice.

3. Shooting

Nil

4. Combat

Nil

Turn 2 - Orcs and Goblins
-------------------------


1. Movement

Once again all of my units pass animosity. The chariots all declare charges and even manage to make a few redirect tests so send nearly all of his chaff fleeing. GC3 and GC2 fail their charges but crucially GC3 is on an angle such that S3 or CK will hit it's flank and overrun into the Squig Herds. GC1 makes it's charge into C2.

2. Magic

I successfuly cast Foot of Gork againi on S2 but Caleb uses his dispel scroll.

3. Shooting

Both of the Rock Lobbas miss the Daemon Prince this turn but both Doom Divers again find their target and put the last wounds on, killing the DP!

4. Combat

My chariot manages to do 2 wounds to the chaos chariot but then is hacked down by the Chaos Warriors on top.

Turn 2 - Warriors of Chaos
--------------------------


1. Movement

The Chaos Knights and C3 both declare charges as C1 and C2 were too far away to realistically make it. I hold for both, C3 fails but the knights make it in. The rest of the army moves up to set up a 3rd turn multi-charge and the Marauders get close enough to NG1 to pop out 2 fanatics and lose 3 of their number.

2. Magic

Caleb is unable to cast as both of his spells are Magic Missiles.

3. Shooting

None

4. Combat

The Knights hack down the Chariot with ease and overrun into the Squig Herd.

Turn 3 - Orcs and Goblins
-------------------------


1. Movement

Both NG1 and NG2 fail animosity and must declare charges. NG2 charges C1 but fails (only needed a 5) and releases it's fanatics in an attempt to boc in C1 but does so unsuccessfuly. NG1 charges the Marauders and clips C2 in the process. I decide to push the trolls up to make sure I win and they make it in the flank. My last chariot smashes into the flank of S3 in an attempt to stall them a turn. My Mangler squigs surge through the Squig Herds and smash into the Chaos Knights, destroying the unit and leaving the Sorcerer on just 1 wound.

2. Magic

I cast Big Foot of Gork again and this time it goes off, inflicting 6 wounds on the Skullcrushers in S2 and inflicting a wound on C1.

3. Shooting

The Rock Lobbas finish off C1 while the Doom Divers kill the remaining Skullcrusher.

4. Combat

The Goblins and trolls kill the remaining Mauraders and the Chariot flees, I elect to restrain in order to receive the charge from S3 and the BSB.  I reform out of the forest to keep steadfast on my trolls.




Turn 3 - Warriors of Chaos
--------------------------


1. Movement

The Chariot rallies as more chaff flees off the board and his other chariot moves across to hit my flanks. The BSB charges the Trolls while the Skullcrushers triy for the NGs (I believe he did this in order to avoid DT tests and having an open flank to both Squig units as well as LoS difficulties in getting both the BSB and the Skullcrushers in without moving through the Manglers. I use the BSB coming inside 8" of my bunker to release fanatics through NG1 and cause them to collide with S3 during the charge, inflicting 8 wounds and since I'd already done 1 with my chariot when I charged their flank the unit was dead.

2. Magic

None

3. Shooting

None

4. Combat

The Trolls manage to put a wound on the BSB, lose the combat but are steadfast and stick around though they are down to 5.


Turn 4 - Orcs and Goblins
-------------------------


1. Movement

NG1 charged the rallied Chariot and SH2 slammed into the side of the BSB, riskily giving up steadfast but hoping the extra 4 CRES would be enough to break the Chaos Warrior. NG2 reformed to catch the BSB should everything go wrong. The Manglers then both moved in the same direction, killing 2 Trolls and a few Squigs, putting a 2nd wound on the BSB and killing eachother. I leave the bunker with my characters to make extra sure the BSB cannot get a charge on them eveb if everything goes wrong.

2. Magic

I tried to draw out dispel dice with a Hand of Gork on SH1 but Caleb let it go. I then tried for Sneaky Stabbing on SH2 but he dispelled it easily. In retrospect I should have thrown everything at sneaky stabbing.

3. Shooting.

My Warmachines destroy C3

4. Combat

My trolls and Squigs fail to get the last wound and lose the combat. The last troll holds but the Squigs fail re-roll Ld 7 and pop, killing the last troll, my NG Shaman, a fanatic and... the BSB! NG1 wins combat against C2 which holds.

At this stage Caleb concedes as the next two turns will see me try to collect chaff with my warmachines. I was very happy with how this game went though to be fair I totally understand why this is being considered a hard counter on the internet. If I didn't have Doom Divers the DP would be a nightmare but as it stands the strength of this list played right into the OnG's hands. OnG randomness was definitely present in this game but not so bad as I remembered and did more for me than it hurt me (those squigs did pull the BSB down along with 300 points of my own guys.) Going first was a good bit of luck as it allowed an extra turn of shooting on the DP, but even if the WoC had gone first the DP would have had to charge through a fanatic screen in order to get to safety. The other toy WoC have that I think would make the match-up a lot more challenging would be Chimera's with regen/flaming breath. But that's future Jeff's problem.

Cheers and thanks for reading.


Built with Battle Chronicler.
http://www.battlechronicler.com/

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog and great battle :) that was a perfect refused flank tactic

    ReplyDelete